Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day



Probably not your prototypical Valentine's Day post - but who wants to be typical. I started off my Valentine's prep by standing in line for 1 1/2 hours on Wednesday night to get my sweetheart her only gift request for Valentine's Day. But after an hour and 15 minutes I couldn't stand it any longer and had to voice my opinion on how poorly ran this See's Candy store was - and give my opinion on how to truly focus on the customer.

Please bear in mind that this was only after the Manager, yes the Manager had rung up the wrong dollar amount on the third customer because she kept having fat fingers, for example, ringing up 6 pecan rolls instead of 3 pecan rolls. The customers were no the sharpest tool in the shed and didn't realize that they probably paid too much for their 3 pecan rolls ($50) until they got out in the car. So I finally said to the manager - again only after hearing her feeble explanation as to why we had to wait so long to get our candy. She said we should feel luckily because we didn't have to wait 3 hours, like the people in Chandler. I said to myself - so there is someone out there that is slower than the two of you. That was enough I couldn't stand it any longer - I said at 5 o'clock you had four people working -but only two behind the counter servicing customers and one on the register taking care of people that just wanted to get prepackaged items. Side note - no prepackaged items for my sweet-heart. Then you were in the the back getting boxes to stock the shelves - couldn't this have waited until you were closed and all the customers were served - guess not. Then at 6 o'clock (closing time) one person behind the counter went home and you had the person behind the register stock the shelves, while you went behind the counter. Instead you should have had put the three of you behind the counter and no one stocking the shelves until all the customers were served. Then all three of you could stock the shelves. I bet that you would be finished sooner with that method than the current method. Instead 10 people have to watch this inefficiently ran store. She said that I did make a good point - and four other customers agreed with me - the measure of your success should not be measured by not having the longest wait times in the valley. Every time I come here I see the same couple of things. Customers that stand in this line for long periods of time and then get up to the counter and still have not figured out what they want (as I said this there were two such customers in the front of the line). Secondly, you up sale the heart shaped boxes without telling the customers that they cost more until you ring them up and the bill is $14 higher than they thought and we have to wait again while you transfer all their candy to the free box and wrap it. I have tried to cure this mishap myself by yelling out "isn't that box more expensive" and very time the customer goes back to the good ole' free box with the free wrapping paper. But now I have a third - stocking the shelves with crap that none of your current customers want - while customers stand in line - and I am pretty sure that your best employee is out here stocking shelves and not back there helping customers. Because I saw her in action for 5 minutes behind the counter and she was twice as fast of anyone else. But don't worry I don't expect anything to change because why should you - I don't come here for the customer service, I don't even like your candy - I come here because "what my babe, wants by babe gets", and she likes her some Sees Candy. So I will be back on Mother's Day, and in August for her birthday and during Christmas - standing in this slow moving line while my heart rate goes up because of how poorly Sees runs their stores. I realize that doesn't not give you any motivation to improve because we are all here for that same reason - just look at the customer you are helping now -3lbs of polar bear claws - why?? because his wife loves them and eats two or three a day. Plus I forget all of this when I get the one thing that I ask for Valentine's Day.

Now you may say - Todd pull your head out and just go 10 days before Valentine's Day and get the candy when the lines are short - I thought that you had average intelligence. I would say - great point!!! But my sweetheart likes her candy "fresh" - and 10 days old is not fresh my friend (I have been told) - the debt card purchase is a dead give-away as to when I made my purchase. You might say then pay with cash and she will never know - oh you simpleton - because I will get the question "why did we go to QT and spend $21.45" - honey I got some cash ($20) and a drink ($1.45) - what did we use the cash for - aaaaawwwww - to buy some candy that would not be "fresh" for Valentine's Day.


*** Just a disclaimer - I have somewhat of a weight problem and to maintain this body shape I sometimes spend a little extra money on food purchases. So that is why I get questioned on some of my purchases - only because someone loves me. ***

1 comment:

Sadie said...

You're hilarious! I love to read your family's blog.