Tuesday, February 17, 2009

President's Day

On Sunday Zoe gave a talk in Primary about families, she said one thing that she loves about her family - is playing golf. Given all the things that we do as a family - she likes playing golf, I found that very interesting. Then after church I was taking Nichole and Zoe home to get dinner started - Nichole asked me when are we going golfing. Again this took me by surprise because Nichole is not into anything physical. So I made a mental note - they both must really like to golf- huh.





So Monday I had to work but I tried really hard to be home early enough to take the family to the driving range for FHE. I pulled in the driveway at 5 with enough daylight left to make it happen - I went inside to find out that I needed to fix the sink before we can go because the girls have still not figured out that potato peels can't go down the drain. I had to yell about four times that if you want to go golfing turn off the TV and get out in the truck. Then Nichole goes and grabs her piano books - what?? because she has a piano lesson at 5:30. I thought that this is just not happening how I had it planned it out in my mind - but I pushed on. I grab the other two girls and the Queen of the house and we make it to the driving range - get the clubs and walk out to the range. Then I am like what is that smell - of course some guy is smoking a cigar - so I have a quickly make a choice either make a scene or just move to the other end of the range. Given my night I really wanted to make a scene - but it was FHE so I thought the better of it. Then here is where I make a big mistake - I have been a Dad for too many years to make this rookie mistake - I had one token in my pocket to get a bucket of balls and I gave it to one of my daughters saying go get a bucket and share it with your sister. That turned into the lovely game of "she has more balls than me". We had the Head Pro hitting balls on one side of us and then a cute little family of three boys on the other. I get the balls all distributed and told everyone to keep their mouths shut and just hit the golf balls. Then I made my way back to sit with Penni on a bench that was a couple of feet away, in the meantime I made some small talk to the mother of the boys. I sit down with Penni and one of my daughters says "She just tooted!" then I hear " No I didn't". Thinking, please someone just shoot me - so I take a walk and go to the Pro Shop to get another token to get more balls and I come back and give the token to the other daughter to go get the last bucket of balls. Then we fight over the distribution of the balls again. On the drive home I think to myself - why do they love to go play golf????

No comments: