Today was a really long day. At work I did the month end close without the help of the lady that I work with for the first time. It went great by it took all day and I was beat.
Penni called me at 5 and asked me when I was coming home. I knew that there was another job waiting for me at home. So I said that I would be leaving in an hour, I also had left my cell phone at home (Penni thinks that I do it on purpose - maybe she is right - it was a quite day). So next came the job, Nichole is babysitting, Kristine and I are going out to dinner and go shop and I need you to go to Chucky Cheese and stay with Zoe at a birthday party. Not exactly what I had planned for my night.
So at 6:15 I get a call from Penni - you haven't left yet? No, I am walking out the door right now but was stopped because someone called so I had to come back to answer the phone. Yes, the no cell phone issue came up again.
So I head to Peter Piper Pizza by our house. Did you catch that? I get there and no Zoe, then I realize that Penni really did mean Chucky Cheese. So I went home to get my cell and off to CC. I get to Chucky's and call Penni - I am here at Chucky's - you just got there - yes I first went to PPP - I told you CC - I know I thought that you didn't know what you were talking about. Are you sure that you want me to hang out here and watch Zoe - Yes I want you to go hang out with the parents until the party is over. I was hoping Penni would see that plan sucked and it was nothing that I wanted to do and instead say to me that I can leave and go home and have a nice dinner and watch some TV.
So as I headed over to the party table with all the parents - Zoe comes running up and is happy to see her Dad. Suddenly I am not so tired and I tell myself that I can make this a good night or a bad night. So it is going to be good. As Zoe goes running off with her friend I sit down at an open spot at the "parent" table. I say to myself that I am going to whip out my A+ personality and wow these people. Just then I notice that the people by me are speaking another language. Great!!! it is Russian Great!!!! As I look to the ceiling and say to myself - Heavenly Father you are killing me. I am trying to have a good time - but I don't speak Russian - come on. I finally met an English speaking dad and we get to talking - he learned all about the paint business and I learned the difference between a Nurse and a Nurse Practitioner. At one point I made one of the birthday girls uncle's have soda come out his nose from laughing and I knew that I accomplish my goal - it was a good night. I even got the father of the birthday girl in trouble with his wife because he was standing around listening to one of my stories instead of helping with the party.
So Zoe and I start walking out to the parking lot and my cell rings - mom wants to know when you guys are coming home - tell mom we will be home soon.
Now comes that best part of the night - the ride home with Zoe talking non-stop. As we get in the truck she leans back in her chair and cocks her head to the right and says - so what were you and that dude talking about. Kids are funny. Then I get to listen to all the happenings on the playground and who is getting into trouble. Zoe told me one story about a time when her class was lining up after lunch and one of the boys in her class said to Zoe - I am going to get you tomorrow (they play tag, I guess) and she said oh I bet that you don't get me tomorrow. Then she turns to one of her friends and says he does know that tomorrow is Saturday and he is not getting me on Saturday. Then she just laughs to herself. The ride home lasted way to short.
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
cute cute cute! It always seems to be those little moments that make what was an un-ideal evening not so bad after all. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment