Wednesday, November 4, 2009


Nichole played in the east region golf tournament on Monday and Tuesday. Penni had the day off on Monday and went to watch Nichole play the first round. They didn’t allow the parents to ride in carts so Penni had to hoof it. Each foursome had a scorekeeper and rules official. Penni befriended the scorekeeper and at one point the scorekeeper turned to Penni and said – “I am not sure why I keep getting Meagan’s score wrong – I am always off by one stroke”. Penni told her that she was right – that Meagan was giving her the wrong score – cheating. Then another girl hit the ball and the scorekeeper didn’t see it and the girl didn’t count it. So honesty is a big part of the game and it has been an issue all season long.

The coach sees Penni and told her that Nichole was his best player from tee to green – but she struggles with her chipping and putting. On Monday she shot really well and did the best on the team – the coach told them that it was because of Nichole that they were in fifth place. Their top golfer was not playing well and one girl had been on the verge of tears all day long – aka girl’s golf = very emotional.

The top school was a Catholic private girl’s school – Nichole has been talking about their matching warm-up suits that the girls all envied. Early on Nichole was not that concerned so much about what she did on the course – it is how you look. Although the more Nichole plays golf the better that she wants to get – and there have even been some signs of competitiveness.

But some things don’t sink in – we have had many conversations about the difference between a water ball and a non-hazard ball.
Option 1
Titleist Pro V-1
$48 per dozen

Option 2

Women’s overrun balls (water ball)
$6 per dozen

On Monday Nichole was shooting over a water hazard and hit her ball right in the middle of the lake – ball she used - option #1 a $4.00 Titleist. Her response – but Dad I thought that I had it, I was hitting the ball really good.

So the season is over but Nichole and her new friends are already planning their practice schedule – Penni is ready for a break from golf - but Nichole response is that she has really worked hard and doesn’t want to lose it. Plus I think that enough people have told her how good she is that all she needs to do is practice and she can go as far as she wants. I think that is sinking in. She wants to get a golf scholarship to some college. WOW!! What a difference a year makes.

No comments: