Saturday, October 24, 2009

It's all about Perspective.



Background: It's an early release day from school and I had scheduled dentist appointments for Kristine and Nichole. Come to find out the high school doesn't have parent teacher conferences so they don't have early release days. So instead of canceling the second appointment I (Penni) decided to go ahead with it myself and reschedule Nichole. Because it is early release Zoe has to come and tag along. So this is how the conversations go...

Zoe - "Hey Kristine, did you know that you get to watch TV here while they do your teeth?"

Kristine - Ya

Minutes later-

Zoe - "Mom, Kristine says she hasn't brushed her teeth for two weeks"

Kristine - "Zoe, I was just kidding."

(Which I know she has because I have seen her brush her teeth) however mind you that the dentist and hygenist are hearing all of this.

Minutes later---

Dentist - "Kristine is ready for braces."

Discussion amongst the adults regarding braces.

Zoe - "I really want braces like Nichole. I just can't wait until I have braces" (back to the TV).

Dental Hygenist - "Really Zoe? Does you sister like braces?"

Zoe - "No, but I still really want them."

Minutes later-

Zoe - prying herself away from the Disney Channel and peering over my face to look into my mouth that has the water sucker upper and the scraper going says

"Hey mom, did you know you have some silver teeth?"

Mom - uh huh

Zoe - "Hey mom can I get silver teeth?"

Mom - huh uh, shaking my head no.

Dental Hygenist - "Zoe, you don't want silver teeth"

Zoe - "Yes I do, I think they are really cool."

Dental Hygenist giggling.

So after the water sucker upper and all the other gadgets are out of my mouth I say to the hygenist

"I guess it's all about perspective."

So what they have heard are my kids who haven't brushed their teeth for 2 weeks, one who needs braces, on who wants braces because they are cool and who also wants cavities so that she can have silver teeth. I guess from the perspective of an 8 year old kid that is all pretty cool.

Perhaps from the dental office's perspective I am sure they just see the dollar signs that will be coming in for oral care from our family in the future.

And from my perspective I am not sure if I should give explanations or just shuffle everyone out of the office as quickly as we can before we say anything else.- PENNI

No comments: