Sunday, October 25, 2009

H1N1- What to do??


Because I am a nurse I have had many family and friends ask me if I was going to get the swine flu vaccine or not. I have gotten the regular flu vaccine for years and when I started having my whole family get vaccinated as well we have been a healthier family overall.

There is alot of media on the swine flu and I don't write this to say I am any type of expert but as my opinion only. I personally have gotten the regular seasonal vaccine as well as the nasal swine flu vaccine (that is a weakened version of this virus) over the past month. I have had no negative reactions of any kind to either one.

I plan on getting everyone in my family vaccinated but our area is out of these vaccines at the moment.

One thing with the nasal version is that you have to be between 2-49 years old with no chronic type of illnesses - healthy individuals only. If you don't fit this category then you have to wait until the injectable version comes out - which at this time they don't know when that will be.

I know vaccinations are controversial but I believe in them. I guess because I see the end results of people and children who are extremely ill it is a strong visual for me.

I have always believed that you have to do the best for your own family - whatever that may be. Be educated medical consumers and do your homework. If you don't feel comfortable then learn more so that your decision is one that you feel good about. Be sure you are using reliable sources and not just the internet rumors that seem to be so easily spread.

The way to keep healthy no matter what kind of flu season it is are all the commen sense kind of things::

The flu is spread through droplets from coughing and sneezing within 6 feet of someone who is sick, so....

Cover those coughs,

Don't touch your eyes, nose, and mouth

Wash your hands

Avoid those who are sick - or if you are the one sick, stay home.

Get good rest and eat well.


(Todd's not sure why I am writing this on "his blog" but I hope this helps those of you who have asked.) --PENNI
(Since I have started writing occasionally in "his blog" I am now putting who has written the post at the end and my posts will be in color.)







No comments: