Friday, November 7, 2008

Reflection on the election - a la JJ

Thankful:

For a daughter that became very passionate about the elections and really passionate about who she thought should be the next President. She formed her owe opinion and when I pressed her on why she believed the way that she did – she actually had answers to my questions and was well thought-out for a sixth grader.

Prop 102 in Arizona and Prop 8 in California passed. It was not a political issue – it was a moral issue.

That I live in the country that gives me and my family the opportunity to have a voice.

For feeling patriotic as I stood in line to cast my vote at 6am with a few hundred other patriotic citizens.

That the Republican Party secured at least 40 seats in the Senate so that the Democrats can’t have complete control.

That our first black President doesn’t rhyme in his speeches. I came up with this one after hearing Jesse Jackson say that Obama was chosen for his direction, not his complexion.

Disappointed:

Friend and neighbors that had their property damaged because they put signs in their lawn showing their support for Prop 102 – defining marriage as between one man and one women. One couple had a car placed in front of their house for 72 hours with the words Begot written on it with an arrow to their house. The police couldn't have the car moved until it had been abandon for 72 hours. Laws even protect the stupid.

Seeing the sore losers that supported a “no” vote to prop 8 in California demonstrate at the LA Temple – the poor temple workers having to deal with all that hatred.


Final thought:

As a sat on the couch next to Penni on election night, watching our new President-Elect give his victory speech I was surprised that I started to feel a burning in my heart, yes it surprised me too. Especially, since I have found it hard to find anything in his politics that I agree with. It may have been that I began to notice the faces of the black people as the camera panned the crowd in Chicago. I was happy for them, I could see the pride on their face - because race is still a big issue in this country. The fact that America has elected a black president is a big hurdle in this country. I heard on a radio program that black people had something great to be proud of as a people, that they finally had a seat at the table of national power. They mentioned that they haven’t seen this much pride and unity in black people since celebrating the acquittal of OJ Simpson. I thought that was a interesting parallel.

My hope is that President Obama can do some good for this country. I am willing to hold judgment and give him a chance to make a different. My hope is that he will be able to keep the liberal democrats at bay.

No comments: