Dad, do you have change for a $20?
Nope
You don't have two fives and a ten.
Nope
You need to go get change for a twenty.
Why do you need change for a twenty?
Dad, I have to buy a band shirt that is $15 and my teacher said that I needed to bring a five and a ten. She won't make change.
Why don't you take your $20 and make change with someone that has a five and a ten. Seeing the confused look I tried to explain myself - you take their five and you both give your teacher $30 for two shirts. (somewhere I was cut off mid sentence)
Dad, that may work in your world but not at junior high (thought to self = simple math and problem resolution doesn't work in jr. high).
I just remembered a Tuesday afternoon conversation
background - at jr. high if you don't do your homework you get 9th hour at the end of the day - so that you can complete your homework. If you get a ride home from school then your mom has to come pick you up later because of 9th hour.Cellphone rings - Dad, I got 9th hour. I will not be done until 3:15 and I am happy to walk home.
Did you call Mom?
Yes, no answer
OK, why did you get 9th hour (our oldest never got 9th hour so this is new - not to say the oldest is perfect - I am just saying I don't really don't know what 9th hour is)
My teacher had me run an errand and when i got back she had handed out the homework but didn't write it on the board so i didn't know about it.
Ok
Dad, I am not perfect - I am going to get 9th hour some times.
Ok
Dad, I don't have a problem walking home
I know you don't have a problem walking. Mom will have a problem with you walking home.
Life with teenagers and mothers .........
No comments:
Post a Comment