
It seems that we have put done the golf clubs and picked up our mitts and bats. Kristine and Zoe are playing softball and really doing well. I will dedicate this post to Kristine “K-man” Pickett. Two years ago she playing softball with Nichole and had a good time. Last year we missed the cut –off and didn’t play. What a difference between this year and two years ago. Kristine has a good coach and her team is turning out to be pretty good. When the season started – it was pretty painful for Kristine and me. She was struggling to hit the balls; she was having a hard time fielding the balls. The coach was on her and she felt singled out – but I think that her coach could see her potential.
The only thing that I knew to do was to practice – we got up early in the morning and went to the park. On weekends I would take the girls over to the school to practice. Then Kristine came home from her team practice one day and said that her coach told her that she would be pitching and catching in the games. What?? I asked her if she pitched in practice – nope – he wants me to practice – no kidding. So we practiced some more. The day that Kristine was to pitch quickly came – and I was a nervous wreck. You just want your kids to do their best – but be successful – I knew that there was nothing that I could do when she was out there on the mount pitching.
The coach had left a message that he wanted to have Kristine there 30 minutes early so he could work with her. So I got her there 30 minutes early, I sat in the parking lot a while, as to, not put too much pressure on her and give her a chance to work with the coach. I finally walked over to the ball field about 10 minutes before it started and the team is just standing there – not warming up. Kristine came over to me and I asked if the coach had worked with her – nope. I could just feel the cortisol being produced in large quantities in my body as my stress level shot up. I let Kristine go over and be with her team – while I tried to sit – nope too nervous - tried to stand – nope too nervous - went over and watch another game where a girl hit a shot into center field and she tried to stretch it to a triple and the centerfielder gunned her down – made me laugh and so that did help.
I went back to Kristine’s ball field and they were getting ready to start. I said a little prayer asking for Kristine to just do her best – and if it was a righteous desire she could throw a no hitter and that would be good. The game started and Kristine made it through the first inning – she walked one batter but had one strike out and threw another one out at first. We were sitting right behind home plate. Of course Penni hadn’t showed up yet because of Zoe’s game. When she did I was only allowed to make one or two comments to Kristine per inning and I was forbidden to go talk to her in between innings.
To sum it up this experience - It gave us a chance to see some growth in Kristine. It showed me what she was made of – she had a carpe deum moment – I got goose bumps. By the third inning she was all over the field – pitching, catching grounders, throwing people out and truly owning the moment. She didn’t look like someone who was doing this for the first time. I am very proud of her!!
I have to throw in a story. So halfway thru the game and having Penni ride me to be quite by giving me the eye – and telling me to calm down. Calling me a back stage mom and stuff like that – telling me not to comment – at on point she even hurt my feelings. But I was living and dying with each pitch when Kristine was out on the mound. In the process I was very aware of how many outs there were – very aware. During one inning Kristine’s team made the third out and the umpire yells out two outs. I was like no that is three – only I felt it so strongly that I verbalized it – remember I an under strict instructions from Penni to be quite. A couple other parents followed suit and confirmed that there were three outs. The ump turns around and walks over to show us his clicker or whatever he is using in his hand to keep track of the ball and strikes and outs and says see it says three – well it is wrong – we yell go check with the scorekeeper. As he walks over to the dugout to check with the scorekeeper – just then I look at Kristine – the ump forgot to call time – out. Kristine gotten the ball from the catching the batter was ready to go, so Kristine pitched the ball. The batter hits the call toward first base – we get it and tag the runner. The ump runs over – no clue as to what to do – calls time. The coaches and the umpire huddle – the ump stills doesn’t know what to do. It was a close game and now we have to make a fifth out to get out of the inning. Kristine gets back on the mound and strikes out the batter for the fifth out and walks off the field – I got goose bumps!! So did Penni but she won’t admit it?

No comments:
Post a Comment