Thursday, February 14, 2008

New Job

I started my new job on January 2nd and it has been fantastic. I spent my first two weeks going around with everyone in the company to see what each of them did and how it all fit together. Basically got the big picture of the company. At the very end of the interview process Penni asked me if I had asked them about my office. At R&K (the job I took in September) I didn’t ask about my office and on my first day at R&K I was shown to a small room that used to be a closet that had been converted into a office that was the size of a prison cell minus the toilet and cot. I also had a computer screen that on half of it everything was green. Penni told me that I needed to bring it up to the new company - so that I didn’t complain about it. The reason that it is so important is because if you are in your office all day long and if you hate your office it makes for a very long day, trust me on that one. So I brought it up, they said that they were going to move someone out of an office and then I would have an office next to the owner and general manager. So it got addressed. I also had a conversation with the owner - he kept saying to me they were going to take good care of me. Well I am not sure what the means, taking good care of me requires a lot – just ask Penni. I have a hard time depiving myself of anything. Just look at my waistline and my garage. The next day he calls me into his office and says "what kind of computer screen do you want?" Trying to be humble and not saying “What is the biggest you got?”, instead I didn’t know what to say so he said let me show you your choices. Here is one that is 32 inches or you can have one like mine – 37 inches. He told me to think about it. I thought that the subject will never come up and I will just take what they give me, I know it will be better that what I had. The next day he calls me into his office and said “so what will it be?”. I said 32 inches should be fine, he said I am not sure that you will be happy with 32 inches. He calls the IT guy in and says to take his screen into Todd’s office see how it looks. I wanted say I know how it will look –fantasic. Let me remind you I am an accountant – there isn’t much to get excited about in accounting. Needless to say check out the pics of my new 37 inch screen.




The Fed Ex guy, the UPS guy and the DHL guy all have been blown away. My nickname in the office is “37”, my age. And it just keep coming the next day I get a call from the Marketing Director and she asks if I want two tickets to the suns game in the company suite. I think that he was right – they are taking good care of me. Did I mention that I get as much free soda as I can drink? Nice……………

No comments: