Thursday, August 9, 2007

Weekend by the Water

I liked this picture of Nichole in the wave pool.


Here is one of Kristine in the wave pool.

Kristine and Zoe with their tube.

The girls on the lazy river.


Hitting the rapids.


Zoe couldn't fit in the tube so she spent most of the time hanging on.


Penni, relaxing and reading a book. Notice the nice shade she is able to enjoy.

This weekend we took the family to the South Mountain Resort in Phoenix. We left on Friday night and spent the night, we swam Friday and all day Saturday. At the resort they have a really nice pool, a lazy river and some slides. Friday we went swimming, then had some pizza for dinner and went to a small pool by our hotel room. The pool got a little crazy about 9 so I took the girls back to the room to get ready for bed, leaving Penni at the pool asleep on a pool chair. Penni made it back to the room about an hour later just as I got the girls bathed and in bed. Sometimes she has good timing. So Penni and I sat down to watch some TV and we watched a story about the bridge collapsing in Minnesota. I can’t even imagine how it would feel to be caught in something like that. Anyway Penni had nightmares all night about being on the bridge and falling into the water and then being eaten by a water monster.

The next morning we went to IHOP for breakfast and then hurried back to the resort to go swimming. In order to get in the Oasis (where all the really nice pools and slides are you have to have a wrist band). So I take the girls over while Penni went to a bookstore to get some reading material. We all have our wrist bands and all of our contraband is in the swim bag because they don’t allow outside food and water. As we got to the entrance I was asked if I would be drinking today and I immediately say no and walk into pool. Of course Kristine and Zoe are wondering why they asked me if I would be drinking. I wanted to tell them that they saw me coming in with three kids and they probably thought that I needed some adult beverage. But instead I told them the truth.

The idea once we got to the pool was to snag some pool chairs in the shade because we were going to be there for the day. I had staked out the situation the day before so I knew where I wanted to go. You know as the sun moves I want to be in the shade the whole day not part of it. I get there and there are two chairs in some nice shade real estate. I grab a small table to put by the chairs so that we have some place to put our stuff. The way to “save” your spot is to put towels on the chair that you are “claiming” and something on the table so it doesn’t walk away. So I have everything “claimed” and I am standing there putting sun screen on the girls when this old couple walks up and I can tell they have the chairs next to us. As I am standing there the lady says whose towels are these and I promptly reply those are mine. She says that she put her stuff on the table to save the two chairs. Now I have my first dilemma of the day. Do I give up the chairs? Do I give her a taste of common sense? Luckily, I remember that I have three girls standing there looking at me as an example so I do the best thing and say nothing. I was thinking that she probably wanted me to give up the chair but I also feel that how are people that do stupid things ever going to learn if they don’t suffer from their bad discussions. Probably not a thought that is going to get me very far in the next life but I am working on it. The other factor was she had some horrible looking bumps all over her body and I was not excited about looking at it all day. There were already far too many women in bikini’s that shouldn't’t be. I told Penni when she got there that along with the alcohol police at front entrance they should also post bikini police. The motto should be “If it don’t fit then you must not admit”. I was going to take some pictures of some of the violators but I am not sure that would have gone over real well with the wife and kids. I am trying to be a better example and spending part of my family time taking pics of other women in their bikini’s would be hard to explain. But I am sure you get the idea. Plus I told Penni that I know that I am a big guy but you don’ see me walking around in a speedo, do you?

Anyway back to the bumping old lady. She moved down a few chairs which happened to be next to her grand kids so it all worked out. Later Kristine came out of the pool with two big tubes that they use on the lazy river and wave pool. She wanted to save them because they were full of air. But there was no room for them. So while I was trying to fix Zoe’s goggles I was facing the people sitting next to us (the old ladies family) and looking away from the girls and Penni. I said (which was meant for Kristine) you can’t save those (meaning the tubes but facing this other family standing by their pool chairs) they are for everyone to use. Then I looked up and these two guys with they families are looking at me and before I say anything they say if you need us to move down we will. Then I realize that they thought that I was talking to them and I apologize saying that I should look at my daughter when I talk to her. That could have been a problem but the two guys were both 150 lbs. soaking wet, I said to Penni later that when you are as big as I am people rarely want to get physical. Yes, I got the eye roll.


On Sunday we went to Jason and Shondelle’s ward for church because their new baby (Addison) was blessed. Their church started at 8:00am and then we were going to go over and eat at Jason and Shondelle’s at 11:00 for brunch. Kristine was really having trouble with the whole brunch concept. She couldn't understand why we were having breakfast at 11. She asked "When were we going to have lunch, then dinner and what about our tradition of being together for dessert?" Were we going to spend the day over at Jason and Shondelle’s, all of these things were very confusing to her.

One more story from the pool – Kristine and I went to get lunch for everyone while Nichole and Zoe saved a table. There was a lady with two fists-full of beer that was standing behind Kristine. Then as I was talking to Kristine she cut in front of Kristine. I let it slide because of the chair situation early. Then the lady gets to the window and asked the cashier if the chili cheese dog have cheese on it. I thought that I didn’t hear her correct but she said it again. Kristine picked up on it the second time and I told her that is what alcohol with do to you. So now the joke with Kristine and myself is - does the pepperoni pizza have pepperoni on it? You get the idea.

No comments: