Monday, July 30, 2007

WNBA Game

July 30, 2007

It looks like the summer is wrapping up. This past week the girls spent it going school shopping and they got some really nice clothes. It looks like we are just about finished and ready to go back to school. Nichole goes to get her books on Tuesday or Wednesday and then it is back to school night for Kristine and Zoe next Monday night. Then school starts on the 8th of August.

Saturday afternoon we had a major monsoon. A monsoon is a big storm that we get in Arizona during the end of July and in August. The storm dumps a lot of rain and blows a lot of wind/dust in a short amount of time. Usually there are a couple of trees that get blown down in our neighborhood. We got through the storm with minor damage - one of the big branches of one of our big trees in the front snapped It can really suck if you are out in your car and get stuck in it. Penni’s visiting teachers planned on picking her up at 4 to go get smoothies and that is right when the storm hit. But that didn’t stop them from making the smoothie run. Kristine was over at a friend’s house and called Penni before she left to let Roscoe in the house because of the storm. I heard Penni getting frustrated because Roscoe was already muddy when he came into the house. I saw Penni crouched down whipping up the mess as Roscoe stood their wagging his muddy tail and banging against the wall. We have tried to contain Roscoe when he is in the house to only having about a couple of feet in front of the back door but it still can be a mess.

Nichole went to her first fireside last night. All of these firsts really are making me feel old. I would love to go back to first word, first steps and so forth.

Last week I did something that I never thought that I would ever do. I attended a WNBA game. The girls got free tickets for reading books this summer at the county library. When Penni fist mentioned it to me I thought there is no way you are getting me to a WNBA game. But the joys of parenthood is that you do things for your kids not for you. Nichole was really exciting about going, Zoe will go anywhere/anytime. Once Kristine found out that it was at the same place that the suns play she was looking forward to the nachos at the arena. So I took the girls and Penni stayed home. The game was everything that I thought that it would be. It was just bad basketball – compared to the NBA. I am sure that a boy’s high school team could win the WNBA championship without any problem. The reason I am saying this is because it one of the best games I have been to because I was sitting there with Nichole who was really interested in the game. Zoe was paying attention to the game and having a good time. Kristine was enjoyable. No one was fighting, it was just a great time with the girls. At one point Zoe asked me “are we for the white people”. My immediate response was to say “no we love all people” then I realized that she was asking are we for the white team or the orange team. Any way I will cherish that great night that I had with the girls.

No comments: