
I have tried a lot of bread recipes over the years. I have taken many bread classes over the years. I have bought expensive equipment to make bread. But I have now found THE bread recipe. One that I like because it's easy and most importantly one that my family likes and will eat. In fact the kind of like that we are going through a loaf a day.
I found the recipe through my food blog stalking hobby a few weeks ago. It's labeled Grandma's White Bread. http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/
It uses food storage stable ingredients and so I wanted to see how it tasted. WONDERFUL! It doesn't call for ground whole wheat. I know that I shouldn't like white bread but I do. I did add 2 cups of ground white wheat to my last batch because I was trying to use it up and not waste it. Nichole liked it even better, so that's where the tad of whole wheat comes in.
2/3 cup powdered milk
3 heaping Tablespoons instant yeast
6 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons shortening
6 cups warm water
flour (approximately 14-15 cups total)
Using a Bosch mix powdered milk, salt, sugar and shortening together, add warm water and mix, add 4 cups flour and then the yeast on top, (this prevents the water from killing the yeast), start mixer on low, continue adding flour until the sides come clean from the edges of the bowl. Let it mix for 6 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. Punch down and divide into 6 parts. (6 parts make 1.6 pound loaves). Roll out each portion and then roll up into a log, tucking under the two sides on the ends. Place in a greased loaf pan and let raise until the size of a bread loaf, it will rise a little more in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush butter on top on hot loaves.
Alterations:
Can be made with fresh milk. Omit powdered milk and add 3 cups warm milk/3 cups warm water for a total of 6 cups liquid.
Can add a few cups of fresh ground whole white wheat without it changing the texture of the bread as I found out.
If using a Kitchen Aid, cut the recipe in half or else it burn out the motor because it's not big enough for this recipe.
2/3 cup powdered milk
3 heaping Tablespoons instant yeast
6 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons shortening
6 cups warm water
flour (approximately 14-15 cups total)
Using a Bosch mix powdered milk, salt, sugar and shortening together, add warm water and mix, add 4 cups flour and then the yeast on top, (this prevents the water from killing the yeast), start mixer on low, continue adding flour until the sides come clean from the edges of the bowl. Let it mix for 6 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. Punch down and divide into 6 parts. (6 parts make 1.6 pound loaves). Roll out each portion and then roll up into a log, tucking under the two sides on the ends. Place in a greased loaf pan and let raise until the size of a bread loaf, it will rise a little more in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush butter on top on hot loaves.
Alterations:
Can be made with fresh milk. Omit powdered milk and add 3 cups warm milk/3 cups warm water for a total of 6 cups liquid.
Can add a few cups of fresh ground whole white wheat without it changing the texture of the bread as I found out.
If using a Kitchen Aid, cut the recipe in half or else it burn out the motor because it's not big enough for this recipe.
1 comment:
Grandma Hansen brought us over a loaf of bread made from your recipie. It is wonderful, which is exactly why I won't be making it.
Post a Comment