
Well, I shocked both Todd, Nichole and myself this weekend. I am still asking myself if I really said yes to letting Nichole have a facebook account.
I have just been so resistant to this whole technology thing replacing real friendships, real interaction with others. Nichole just returned from EFY this year and had alot of fun.
Last year she was the only one at the "girls night pizza party" not able to text the boys below her, so she sat there while the lights of everyone's cell phones were lit up from texting. No one interacted or had that traditional late night fun. Even......tualy she got her phone with limited texting and has done well with it.
So this year the discussion went like this,
Mom, I get to meet all these new friends and then because everyone's on facebook except for me
I can't keep in touch. Can I please have a facebook?
Yeah I don't think so. I thought that everyone texts each other.
Mom, that was last year, this year it's facebook. Everyone has facebook accounts.
So the thought that comes to my mind is that everything we have given her she has shown us that we could trust her so out it came...
"...sure you can have a facebook account."
Really, like really????
Yep.
I don't know how it works, I still don't like the idea, but I can't keep my head in the sand any longer and just have to somehow embrace this generations new idea of friendship and how they interact... along with alot of boundaries (aka rules) to keep her safe.
Technology isn't going away so I guess it's like so much already. I need to teach her how to use it responsibly and safely and give her the freedom to be a modern day teenager.
Hopefully there won't be any regrets!
1 comment:
I think you are right. That is how we felt with Aubrey and her laptop. She can only get on the internet if we sign her in. If you have a facebook page of your own, as long as you are one of her "friends" on there you can keep an eye on things. Can't wait to see you later on this week! Mindy
Post a Comment