For years and I really mean years we had a big bag a gourmet chocolate chips in our freezer. I was so grateful when the big bag was finish and I didn't have to be tempted very time I opened the freezer. So it has been a while but a big bag of chocolate chips showed up in our freezer the other. But this time I have lots of help eating the chocolate chips. I started to notice that there were bowls of chocolate chips sitting by the TV, in the girl's room and so on - a tasty snack. So before they were all gone - I asked Nichole to make some cookies Sunday night. I do like myself a "good" chocolate chip cookie.
So a little while later I came downstairs and Nichole was hard at work - then I remembered that I wanted to have her use a different recipe than the normal one. But I was too late because the answer to my question of what recipe she was using was - the one mom uses. Penni has always used a recipe that has produced sub-par cookies. You will see why I can be so honest here in a minute.
I mentioned to Nichole that I was hoping to catch her and have her use the a different recipe. Kristine quickly pipes in that she did care of mom's "normal recipe". Like a lot of things - Penni finds something she likes and she doesn't stray. Also Penni and I have similar tastes and she normally she finds a really good recipe for things that we like. Fast forward and Nichole finished the cookies and she made big ones (compared to Penni's small ones) - they looked great - but tasted the same (too much salt or bake power - not sure).
The next morning I saw that we had 12 cookies still uneaten so I asked Nichole to go hind some because the other two would polish most of them off before dinner. I also was going to take some to work because I don't need them either. Well Penni sees me and asked what I was doing - I explained and she said are you sure that they aren't for you. Without thinking - I am sure that they are not for me because I don't even like this recipe. Penni with a surprised look - you have never said anything before - that is when the jig was up. So I am a good husband - never complained in 17 years about this bad cookie recipe (and I am repeating here - I love me some chocolate chip cookies). The only reason the truth came out this time was because I am suppose to be losing some weight and eating 5 cookies doesn't seem to help me reach that goal. Plus all good/bad things have to come to an end.
So if you have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe send it our way because we are a lookin for a new one. Some commentary here - Penni doesn't eat cookies, she eats cookie dough. Just like every bad habit we have, kiddie see - kiddie do. So most of the time the cookies never get baked. Probably why I haven't complained - the cookies never get to the "baked"stage.
2 comments:
I have a great recipe!! The cookies are awesome!! Because, like you, there is nothing that beats a great chocolate chip cookie--which I can polish off on my own if it were up to me. I will send it your way soon. My sister has been asking for it as well so I'll get that typed up!!
Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter (softened)
1c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 c flour (I use 1 c. white. 1 c fine whole wheat)
2 1/2 c blended oatmeal (blend to a fine crumb and then measure 2 1/2)
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like to add more; I like a lot of chocolate chips)
4 oz. grated chocolate bar (optional. I hardly do this)
1 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts (I think it makes a big difference to the taste)
Preheat over 350. Mix butter and sugars. Add Vanilla and eggs. Add Dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate and nuts. Make golf sized balls and bake 2 inches apart. Bake 12-14 min. Do not over bake. Cookies will continue to bake after they are removed from the oven.
I think these make the best looking and tasting cookies!! I really think the blended oats and the wheat flour add a nice dimension to the cookie and you can’t even tell that there is wheat flour in it. I usually make a full recipe and freeze most of the dough (which is really yummy) and only cook what we are going to eat. I hope you like the recipe!! This recipe is also the exact same as the Neimen Marcus $250 cookie recipe (if you’ve heard of that)
Post a Comment